What does a safe space mean for you as a young person?
- An environment that is conducive enough for the development of a youth
- Schools as safe spaces for youth to learn and build their skills
- For girls and young women it means access to social spaces, technological spaces, and political spaces
- An environment that youth can live, thrive and maximize their potential
What are the benefits of having safe spaces for youth?
- Youth can fully participate in finding solutions for the challenges in their communities
- Safe spaces ensure the dignity and safety of youth
- Safe civic spaces enable youth to participate in governance issues
- Well planned physical spaces can accommodate the needs of diverse youth
- Balanced gender opportunities at work, home and market places
What are your wishes today as International Youth Day?
- Need for better education systems for Malagasy children and youth.
- Strengthen the status of Chadian youth in decision making
- Promote intergenerational exchange
- A comprehensive sexual education is needed
- Need to enhance youth leadership and participation
- Protection measures and structures for the communities most vulnerable
- Youth to be trained and properly resourced to engage in entrepreneurship
(Youth voices from:
Ghana, Cameroon, Chad, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Somalia)